Sunday, April 12, 2009

Prayers and laughter



On Saturday I was able to pick up Kayla from "Ochi Dome" (translated Father's House) for some hang out time with the brothers (Kollin and Kory) and me. She greeted us with a warm smile and dishwater on her hands. I think it was no disappointment to miss out on the Saturday chores completion. We raced to "Poosha Voditsia" and collected the boys after signing a "back by 8 PM Sunday or else!" letter for Orphanage 21. It was really great. We went to a local shopping area and had some goof off time in the arcade and of course the food area- listen up, Korey was with us so this is the most important part of any shopping area in his mind. He asked if we had food in the refrigerator in "Ameriki" (okay so our translator helped him ask this). When I replied that indeed we did have food in the fridge, he said basically in his little sing-song russian tone, "not after I get there..." Now there is something to like about a young man who has his basic priorities out there with no reservation. I have no idea how the boy doesn't weigh as much as I do. He is nothing but bone and sinew, is unfazed by any challenge (like he has a pocket full of Kryptonite- if you were born too late you don't get that), and he unashamedly eats like a grown man.

Our friends Oleg and Lena Vasilevsky were so kind to have "the three and me" over to enjoy the late afternoon sunshine, have a meal, and carry on serious discipleship discussion together. The four of us went back to the apartment before 10 PM to try and get momentum for an early morning on Sunday. This was not really successful- it was after midnight before they went down for the count!

It is not Easter in Ukraine yet. Most here follow the Orthodox Calendar so next week would be the time. Our mission this morning was to get everyone up, out, fed, and to the other side of Kiev by 9:30 AM to meet with Kayla' church family during the worship gathering for a time of prayer. They introduced us, told how they believe this is just one of many miracles they are seeing as God answers prayers. I actually was able to share a few words after we were introduced as a family. It was such an incredible experience to be able to share just about 1-2 minutes with the local body/family/bride of Jesus Christ on the other side of the planet! About 400 or 500 packed the place! It was humbling and encouraging at the same time. For instance- how many times have you applauded me when I said "good morning"? I am laughing... applause occurred when I said "good morning" in English. It was a really sweet time together. They even blessed us with some beautiful flowers at the close of the prayer.

Our afternoon brought some family time at a place about 30 minutes outside Kiev. It is kind of a local Kiev pro team ice hockey arena slash indoor arcade slash laser tag slash go cart place. And they are proud of it! It is without a doubt the most pricey way to spend an afternoon in Ukraine unless you are shopping in Mandarin Plaza in the center of the city. Let it suffice to say that there were some family dynamics-as you can imagine, and we are learning love and truth together. Still, it gets better each time together. The children had a blast and we closed the day out by dropping them all off exhausted in their holding cells. OK so Kory and I were exhausted. I was released to the metro station, and all my fellow Ukrainians were waiting on me on the platform when I went through the gate.

I continually pray that God will unswervingly instruct you all to do His will through His Spirt...

Romans 12:2 "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

No comments: